In this 82-page report, we have examined in detail the statement of accounts and balance sheets from clubs that have been participants in the English Premier League beginning with the 2008-9 season up to and including the latest available accounts for the 2016-17 season. With data from over 280 individual balance sheets, we have been able to calculate the economic performance for each club where all taxes and charges including the cost of capital have been considered.
The report also includes the Football Profitability Index® (FPI) which measures the efficiency of each participant club in converting revenue into economic profit on a like-for-like basis. The report contains over 150 charts, 27 detailed performance tables plus FPI ranking tables for each individual year from 2009 to 2017.
- A detailed explanation of the methodology used to calculate Economic Profit and the FPI.
- A review of the revenue performance of the Premier League division and individual clubs therein including the effects of the increase in revenues as a result of the 2016-2019 domestic TV agreement – 11 pages, 6 charts, 15 tables.
- An explanation of the role of the Economic Profit metric when compared to various earnings measures – 5 pages, 5 charts.
- The economic record of the Premier League division since 2009 and key trends – 7 pages, 8 charts, 4 tables.
- An introduction to the Football Profitability Index which measures the overall efficiency of the Premier League division year-on-year from 2009 in achieving economic profits/losses plus key trends including the direct link between poor economic performance/efficiency and relegation – 12 pages, 5 charts, 7 tables.
- A detailed breakdown of the role and economic performance of the Premier League’s ‘Top 6’ clubs and how they differ from the rest of the division – 6 pages, 8 charts, 1 table.
- Conclusion – 5 pages, 3 charts.
Appendix (25 pages) – includes a detailed financial and economic breakdown for each of the 20 Premier League clubs in the 2016-17 season. Visuals per club include:
- 2016-17 Revenue split profile (TV, Matchday and Commercial)
- 2016-17 vs 2015-16 comparative view of Revenue, Pre-tax, Economic Profit/loss, FPI value, FPI ranking and Premier League position performance.
- Economic Profit/loss
- Economic efficiency per £100 of revenue
- Staff cost
All appendix data displayed over a 9-year period unless specified.
Additionally, we have included FPI ranking tables by season from 2008-9 with Revenue, Economic Profit/loss and Premier League positions.
Click here to buy the report.